|E-Live Sample Backpacks | How to Use | Rubric | Teacher Vignette | Literature Review
The following is a list of references cited in a paper intended to guide the re-purposing of the EstuaryLive Video Clips, as well as additional resources and reading.
- Beal, C. & Mason, C. (Jan. 1999). Virtual fieldtripping: No permission notes needed -Creating a middle school classroom without walls.” Meridian, 2, 1. Available from http://www.ncsu.edu/meridian/jan99/vfieldtrip/index.html Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Bransford, T. (1999). How people learn: Brain, mind, experience, and school. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Conference Board and Americans for the Arts & American Association of School Administrators (AASA) (April 2008). Ready to innovate: Are educators and executives aligned on the creative readiness of the U.S. workforce?
- Conference Board, Corporate Voices for Working Families, Partnership for 21st Century Skills, & the Society for Human Resource Management (2006). “Are they really ready to work? Employers’ perspectives on the basic knowledge and the applied skills of new entrants to the 21st Century U.S. workforce.”
- Crissman, C. (Fall, 2007). Interview with Principal Dan Moore. USDLC Podcast Series, “Professional Development for 21st Century Educators.” Available from http://www.usdlc.org/ Retrieved May 29, 2008.
- Crissman, C. (Winter, 2000). Marshian chronicles. Meridian, 3, 1. Available from http://www.ncsu.edu/meridian/2000wint/estuary/estuary3.html Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Davis, V. & Lindsay, J. (2007). The flat classroom project. Available from http://flatclassroomproject.wikispaces.com/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Delaware River Basin Commission’s Ed Web – Student Showcase. Available from http://www.state.nj.us/drbc/edweb/showcase.htm Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Discovery Education. Available from http://www.streamingdiscoveryeducation.com Retrieved May 21, 2008.
- Dodge, B. (1995). Some Thoughts About WebQuests. Available from http://webquest.sdsu.edu/about_webquests.html Retrieved on May 31, 2008.
- Dodge, B. Research About WebQuests from The WebQuest Page. Available http://webquest.org/index-research.php Retrieved May 31, 2008 from Earthtrip Virtual Fieldtrips – Paleontological Research Institute. Available from http://www.priweb.org/ed/earthtrips/ETripIndex.html Retrieved May 31, 2008 from Concilus, J. et al. (May 24, 2008) Connecting to Place-based Education in Alaska - TTT102 - 4.30.08 EdTechTalk Available from http://teachersteachingteachers.org/?p=169 Retrieved on May 29, 2008.
- Crissman, C. (June, 2008). Observation and interview with Joselyn Todd.
- Crissman, C. (June, 2008). Observation and interview with teacher, George Ward.
- Fait, H. & His, S. (June 2005). From playful exhibits to LOM: Lessons from building an Exploratorium digital library. JCDLC. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Fatherlee, J. (May 2008). Sold Out: Celebrating Academic Achievement through Digital Storytelling. Available from http://www.pbs.org/teachers/mediainfusion/2008/05/helping_students_develop_21st.htm Retrieved May 31, 2008).
- Friedman, T.L. (2005). The world is flat: A brief history of the twenty-first century. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Gardner, H. (July 19, 2007). Diane Rehm Show, NPR. Available at http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/07/07/19.php#13277 Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Hammerman, J.K.L (Sept. 15, 2007) The State of Estuarine Education: K-12 Needs Assessment. TERC
- Harrington, M.C.R, (June 26-28, 2006). Trees of life: Models of children’s creative process. DLS Internet Services.
- IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee, 2002 Learning Object Metadata (LOM), final draft standard. No. IEE 1484.12.1-2002. Available from http://ltsc.ieee.org/wg12/files/LOM_1484_12_1_v1_Final_Draft.pdf; Retrieved May 23, 2008.
- Instructify (Feb. 29, 2008). Access firewalled videos with KeepVid. Available from http://blogs.learnnc.org/instructify/2008/02/29/access-firewalled-videos-with-keepvid/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Jason Project. Available from http://www.jasonproject.org/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Jenkins, H. et al. (2006). Confronting the challenge of participatory culture: Media education in the 21st century. Chicago, IL: The MacArthur Foundation. Available from http://digitallearning.macfound.org/site/c.enJLKQNlFiG/b.2029291/k.97E5/Occasional_Papers.htm Retrieved on May 21, 2008.
- Kearsley, G. & Shneiderman, B. Engagement theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Version 4/5/1999. Available from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm Retrieved on May 29, 2008.
- Lanhardt, A. & Madden, (2005). Teen content creators and consumers, Washington, DC: Pew Internet & American Life Project, No. 2: Available from http://www.pewInternet.org/PPF/r/166/report_display.asp Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Lee, P. et al. (June 11-15, 2006). Keeping the context: An investigation in preserving collections of digital video. Chapel Hill, NC: JCDL.
- Lindquist, J.J. Virtual Field Trip to the Austin Chalk Group. Available from http://home.houston.rr.com/lundquist/Field_Trip/trip.html Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Lovin, W.D. & Crissman, C. (2006). EstuaryLIVE. Experience Odyssey video. USDLC.
- Marshall, B. email communication, May 21, 2008.
- Mitchell, M. (2003). Constructing Multimedia: Benefits of Student-Generated Multimedia on Learning. Interactive Multimedia Electronic Journal of Computer-Enhanced Learning. Available from http://imej.wfu.edu/articles/2003/1/03/index.asp Retrieved May 21, 2008.
- Moher, T. et al. (April 5-10, 2008). Wallcology: Designing interaction affordances for learner engagement in authentic science inquiry. CHI 2008 Conference Proceedings. Available from http://casa.dit.unitn.it/resources/library/CHI2008/docs/p163.pdf Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- The Library of Congress, 1995 Library of Congress (1995). A periodic report from the National Digital Library Program. Report No. 4, November/December 1995. Available from http://www.loc.gov/ndl/nov-dec.html. Retrieved May 23, 2008.
- NASA JPL Virtual Lab Tour. Available from http://virtualfieldtrip.jpl.nasa.gov/ Retrieved on May 31, 2008.
- NASA Quest Challenges. Available from http://www.quest.arc.nasa.gov/ Retrieved on May 31, 2008.
- NASA Virtual Field Trip to Mars. Available from http://quest.nasa.gov/vft/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Narragansett Bay Commission, Rhode Island Office of Marine Programs http://omp.gso.uri.edu/doee/virtual/virt1.htm Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Oceans Live. Available from http://www.oceanslive.org/portal/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=6&pid=0 Retrieved on May 31, 2008.
- Olsen, S. (April 24, 2008) Are wired kids well served by schools? CNET News.com Available from http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-992817-7.html Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Pattuelli, M.C. (March 2005). Teachers’ perspectives and contextual dimensions to guide the design of N.C. history learning objects and ontology. Information Processing & Management, 44, 2, March 2005, pp. 635-646.
- Perez, S. (May 15, 2008) -- Why Gen Y Is Going to Change the Web. Available from http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why_gen_y_is_going to-changethe_web.php
- Recker, M. et al. (Jan. 2007). A study of teachers’ use of online learning resources to design classroom activities. New Review of Hypermedia & Multimedia, 13, 2, pp. 117-134.
- Reynolds, G. (2008) Presentation zen. Berkeley, CA: New Riders.
- Rideout, V., Roberts, D., and Fochr, U. (2005). Generation M: Media in the lives of 8-18 year-olds. Kaiser Family foundation. Available from http://www.kff.org/entmedia/upload/Executive-Summary-Generation-M-Media-in-the-lives-of-8-18-Yar-olds.pdf Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Sheehy, P. (2008) Ramapo Island blog. Available from http://ramapoislands.edublogs.org/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Spires, H. (2008). 21st century skills and serious games: Preparing the N Generation. In Annetta, L. A. (Ed.), Serious educational games: From theory to practice.
- Stansbury, M. (May 2, 2008). Study: Creativity is important but neglected.
- eSchool News. Available from http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top- news/news-by-subject/research/?i=53690 Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Thomashow, M. (1995). Ecological identity: Becoming a reflective environmentalist. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press. (cited in Place-Based Curriculum and Instruction: Outdoor and Environmental Education Approaches -- ERIC Educational Reports by Janice L. Woodhouse, Clifford E. Knapp. Available from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pric/is_200012/ai_78284858930 Retrieved on May 29, 2008.
- Tramline: the Virtual Field Trips Company. Available from http://www.field-trips.org/ Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Virtual-Field-Trips. Available from http://www.uen.org/utahlink/tours/tours Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Ward, G. Teacher interview, April 2008.
- Wells, Nancy M. and Kristi S. Lekies. (2006). “Nature and the Life Course: Pathways from Childhood Nature Experiences to Adult Environmentalism.” Children, Youth and Environments 16(1): 1-24. Retrieved November 24, 2007 from http://www.colorado.edu/journals/cye/.
- White, N. (2000). Student Creators: How to Contribute to the Internet.
- Edutopia http://www.edutopia.org/student-creators Why are the Hawaiian wetlands vanishing? (2007) ThinkQuest. Available from http://library.thinkquest.org/J0110028/splash.htm Retrieved May 31, 2008.
- Doing Science: The Process of Scientific Inquiry. Available from http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih6/Inquiry/guide/info_process-b.htm Retrieved May 31, 2008.
Last Updated on: 06-17-2011